"Thing was, I'd grown partial to the place. With its sudden smell fear and the thrill of waiting-up for the end of the world."
--Billy The Kid, I'm Not There

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Modding The Champ "600" Pt 2

Had to wait a few weeks to work on this one.

Read on the Telecaster board that the speakers in the "600" re-issues are utter crap. Enough people had said this so I took it as Gospel and decided to replace it.

Many guys had crammed a 8" speaker in the thing and I thought about this, but decided that was not the easiest route. I ordered a Jim Weber 6" instead.

Hmm... What could this be?

P.S. Don't order music crap on the internet when you're kinda drunk or the label may turn out that way!

Well, it naturally was the speaker, which was very impressive at first glance:



It was hand signed and numbered by Jim on the side. The mag on this thing is huge, this will be important to note for later.

First, one must remove the old speaker, simply unscrew the unit and remove:


Be careful to align the thing with the screws, you will have ruined a perfectly good speaker if you tear the paper around the screw holes.


I tried to put the head back in the cab and discovered the 6V6 power tube was being pushed out of the socket by the new speaker, it's a deeper speaker and the mag in it takes up more space.

I tried this fix on Weber's website:


"Mounting this speaker in a Gretsch G5222 and Fender Champ 600.   From J.P. Glavey Jr. 
Some 6V6's might be about 3/16" to 1/4" inches taller than the Chinese tube these amps come with. To fit this speaker with the factory tube in place, loosen the two screws that hold the chassis in place. There are two machine screws on the
side and two wood screws on the faceplate.

Pivot the face plate out at the bottom. Cut a hard rubber hose washer to about 3/8' in length and place two of these spacers under the chassis faceplate at the bottom. That will cause the chassis to tilt slightly out to make the proper clearance."

Well, I did that but it didn't give me enough clearance, so I ended up using a pair of channel-locks to bend the faceplate of the amp chassis to give me even more clearance. I broke one of my switches that I installed earlier when modding the amp in the process of bending the chassis.


Oops!!
Note to self: don't bend the crap out of a perfectly good amp head while being kinda drunk!

I noticed at this time that another reason the head would not get clear of the speaker was the fact that the switch I had just broke also was hanging up on the top of the cab and not allowing it bend any further up and away from the speaker.

I spent the next hour carving out a notch for this switch in the amp with my hobby knife and a beer.


Looks like hell I know, but I painted the exposed wood black and the chassis covers the hole when in place.

And done, that funky looking cable coming out of the amp will be the topic of another post in the future. The new speaker does sound much better and does not fart-out like the old one did, well worth the $50.00 I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment