"Thing was, I'd grown partial to the place. With its sudden smell fear and the thrill of waiting-up for the end of the world."
--Billy The Kid, I'm Not There

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Quickie Post: Building A Cheap Extension Cab

This is just up for kicks, I neglected to take pictures for most of this project, but I am very proud of it.

I had replaced two of the four speakers in my Fender '59 Bassman, one had "opened up" and was no longer functioning. Put two new ones in the relieve the problem and balance it out. This left me with one good functioning 10" speaker laying around.

It is a good speaker, a 20-year-old Eminence Blueback.

My buddy Tony suggested I make an extension cab with it.

So I did.

My father and built it using some photo's in my "Fender: The Golden Years" book as a reference. What we did is pretty well copy the Fender Wide Panel Tweed cabs almost to a T.

We used cheap scrap plywood and some OSB.

Here is how it looked after fabrication and before my piss-poor tweed job:


You can see I used burlap from Walmart as a grillecloth, the speaker is on top of the naked cab.

I next covered it in this tweed-like fabric, also from Walmart. I eff''ed this part up good as I did not use contact cement to apply the fabric covering. The cement is used because it brushes on and adheres to the whole surface of the cloth and amp. I just kinda squirted some Tacky-Glue around and it looked fine at first.

But then I used polyurethane to serve as a lacquer, which caused the fabric to bubble-up anywhere the glue wasn't applied, so yeah, use the contact cement and don't do what I did.

Here is the finished product, I made the cable for it out of some components from Radioshack attached to some 14ga speaker wire, looks like hell but works fine.







That's all folks, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment